Monday, December 20, 2010

Did Mookie Do the Right Thing? Part 1

I am of course taking about Spike Lee's masterpiece from 1989, Do the Right Thing which was robbed for an Oscar nomination for Best Picture. I mean Driving Miss Daisy took home best picture that year and I say for shame on the Academy.

First off before I watched Do the Right Thing my Top 5 favorite films of all time went something like this:

1. Platoon (1986)
2. The Dead Zone (1983)
3. Minority Report (2001)
4. The Planet of the Apes (1968)
5. The Matrix (1999)

Honorable favorites: Dark City, LA Confidential, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Wayne's World, They Live, Fateless and Alien.
Now my top 5 reads a followed:

1. Platoon (1986)
2. Do the Right Thing (1989)
3. The Dead Zone (1983)
4. Minority Report (2001)
5. The Planet of the Apes (1968)

And I never thought that I would ever bump out The Matrix but I love Do the Right Thing and consider it a masterpiece.

First of all, why does this movie rock? The camera movements are very, very interesting. They remind me of Stanley Kubrick's style and although they aren't as surreal, the camera movements are brilliant none-the-less. Likewise, the camera angles are often tilted, which works tremendously in this film.

As for the acting, Danny Aiello brought the house down. Spike Lee was really good as Mookie who is the main character, as was the late Ossie Davis, Bill Nunn, Martin Lawrence, Ruby Dee, Giancarlo Esposito, Rosie Perez and John Turturro, to name only a few of the amazing cast. 

Danny Aiello was more than well deserving of his Best Supporting Actor Oscar nomination but he should have won. Spike Lee did win an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay in 1989 and it was more than well deserving, but like I said above, he should have won Best Picture and Best Director, which he was robbed from getting.

Continue to part 2....

No comments:

Post a Comment